House Dad

Monday, July 25, 2005

Day one

K got home last night at eight PM. I had managed to fend off E's appetite so that they were able to have a last meal together before bedtime. I was glad to hear that she enjoyed herself at the wedding and it was kind of a fun time Being the only one there of E.

Now it is a bit after five on Monday E is in the bouncy chair happily chatting away with the little wood shapes I painted in black, white and red after we brought her home. The one painted as a face is her favorite. I have already talked to K twice on this her first day of work after E being born. I was greatly relieved to hear that as she sat at a restaurant downtown eating her salad and reading her book at lunch she thought to herself that she does indeed need that in her life.

E and I spent the most noteworthy part of our day playing with our friend, neighbor and my former co-teacher and her daughter. We went out to lunch then took her three year old to the toy store next door. In the area where we live it is a given that if you have been here for any amount of time and take an outing of this sort you will run into someone that you know. This is was not an exception to that rule.

I saw, but choose not to talk to, the grandmother of a girl I dated back in high school. (It was because the girlfriend was friends with K that K and I met way back in 1991.) I also ran into the mother of one a kid, now grown up, who I used to have in the youth group at church when I led it. Now he has since moved back to the area and is living in a condo with his girlfriend and they are friends of ours. (If I am not thinking I will still occasionally refer to him as one of "the Jr high kids".)

After lunch was done we came back to hang out at my place and the three year old did a developmentally correct job of tearing up the living room and chasing our dog then they took their leave. I tried, in vain, to get E to take a nap. I don't know why she didn't want to, I know that I could have used one. Instead she took a bottle with dad in the kitchen. At that point "J" stopped by to change after work and head back to his house to play with, feed, bathe, and put my nephew to bed.

K is on her way home so I took advantage E's being amused by the bouncy chair friends and cleaned up the apartment, not a few bottles to wash. Now we are waiting for mom to get home and I guess that we will have to call day one of this experiment (or is it really these experiments) a success.

(Mom just got home, sounds like the biggest complaints were that the pump was heavy to carry home and that the shoes she wore home were not comfortable.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home