House Dad

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Coming and going...

OK. E is still a sleep. So let's touch on another new addition to our house hold, here on the eve of K's return to work. Tonight is going to be the first night that my older brother "J" will be living with us.

Just before K and I added E to our family my brother J made it known that his wife wanted to end their marriage. (Petty aside: I have to say this was an unwelcome intrusion on my "baby buzz".) They have a wonderful son (my only nephew/niece) and whereas I had a hard time accepting his wife at first she now is someone about whom I care deeply. J's wife, "C", is a wonderful mom and I was looking forward to having her be an important person in E's life. Their house is only a couple of miles away and she has stayed home with their son so far. I am not saying that she can't still be a wonderful aunt to E, but I am saying it will be different.

My parents went through a pretty ugly divorce when we were kids and it is one of my chief goals in life to maintain a healthy and, when possible, happy marriage. It saddens me greatly to think that E is going to grow up with parents who are not married. I know it can be done gracefully, but it is not the same.

Well, now they have decided that it would be best if they did not live together anymore as they prepare to sell their house. And J asked, yesterday, if he should stay with us. In my mind there is only one answer, yes.

That being said, there are more than one worries about adding another body to the house. Space, modesty, privacy, meals, costs, schedules, housekeeping, moods, parking... So, it will be interesting to see how this new wrinkle plays itself out.

I have a feeling that there will be something to post about tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home